The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

Lindsey Lanier: Jane of all trades

Alex Berenfeld, Managing Editor

For all of you who claim you cannot work out because you just don’t have the time for it, meet your worst nightmare: Lindsey Lanier.

Lanier, a senior, is one of Providence’s strongest runners, as well as scholars. She began running in seventh grade after trying out for the school’s track team due to her dad’s enticing promise of a phone. Despite her being a year-round swimmer since the age of 4 and having a dislike for running, Lanier was pushed to pursue the sport after her parents identified her natural running ability.

Since then, Lanier has played a large role in all of her schools’ athletic teams. “I ran cross country and track at South Charlotte Middle School. At Providence, I have run 12 consecutive seasons of cross country, indoor track and outdoor track which run continuously all year,” Lanier said.

Many people would agree that the time and dedication given to sports can get in the way of academic responsibilities. However, Lanier manages her time well enough to ensure that she can still excel as a student and stay involved in other school-related activities.

Lanier is an officer in both Key Club and German National Honor Society, maintaining an unweighted GPA of 4.0. “School and running take up the majority of my time,” she says. But to her, this is a good thing. “Running actually makes me more focused and relieves a lot of stress. I look forward to practicing every day after school.”

Long-time friend and teammate, junior Sarah Parrish, is confident in Lanier’s abilities as a runner and believes she is one of the most determined people she knows. “We have trained together almost every day since we met,” Parrish said. She has known Lindsey for almost three years now and also runs cross country, indoor and outdoor track at Providence. “I am so proud of her will to achieve, and she has helped me through a lot just by setting an example of being a hard worker,” Parrish said. “I’ve seen her grow into a more confident person. She has helped me realize my own potential.”

Parrish will miss many things about her soon-to-be-graduating friend, including Lindsey’s constant motivation and optimistic attitude. “I will miss the security of having her as a teammate and as someone to look up to,” Parrish said.  

Her dedication to running has paid off. Lanier has been offered scholarships for running from a number of schools like High Point University, University of Dallas, Davidson College and East Carolina University. However, Lanier explained how these scholarships do not offer as much money as those given to other sports that generate a large amount of people and revenue, like football or basketball. “Unfortunately, women’s running doesn’t seem to attract many people, so the amount those scholarships do offer is way less,” Lanier said. “Ultimately, I think I will end up running at a bigger school with academic scholarships.”

Lanier plans on attending UNC Chapel Hill in the fall. “I want to be at a big school and get a full college experience. I am certain I want to continue running,” said Lanier. Although, after four years of being eligible for NCAA, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Lanier hopes to go to medical school and then focus on her career. “Maybe marathons will be next for me,” she said.

Another one of Lindsey’s long-time supporters is Coach Steven Touranjoe, who has known her since her freshman year at Providence. “She has improved every year and takes her training and academics very seriously,” he said. “I look forward to seeing how she does at the next level at Chapel Hill.”

Running has helped Lindsey grow into the scholar and athlete she is today. “Running will always be a lifelong passion for me,” she said.