The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

Best internships in Charlotte

Best internships in Charlotte

Anya Mansell, Co-Editor in Chief

As students, prospective internships weigh heavily on our minds, as we worry about getting a jumpstart on our careers. We know the importance of networking and gaining experience while still in high school. There’s no doubt about it: internships are great resume fodder and wonderful experiences to have before entering the real working world.

Picking the right internship can seem daunting. Many are far away, not in a particular field or have a list of qualifications and prerequisites that are completely out of range for the average teenager. Luckily for Providence students, there are tons of internships in a variety of different fields and skill levels available for students in Charlotte.

Below is a list of a handful of the best internship opportunities coming up in Charlotte. For more examples and a wider selection, two of the best places to find internships like these are 350 Summer Internship Jobs in Charlotte, NC | LinkedIn and 2017 High School Internships in Charlotte, NC | Internships.com. However, be sure to strike while the iron is hot, as internship slots fill up, and submission deadlines approach quickly.

Team Read Ambassador’s Program – Promising Pages – If you love kids or are a bit of a bookworm, this internship might just be the perfect fit for you. Promising Pages is an organization looking for youths to help foster a “love of reading” in young children. The only requirements for this internship are having “reliable transportation, a heart to serve children from low-income situations, and a love of reading.” The application is due May 1.

http://www.internships.com/non-profit/team-read-ambassadors-program

Apex Energy Group – Junior Sales Partner – If you’re looking for not only experience in sales and marketing but the ability to gain money while doing an internship, this is the job for you. This is an amazing paid internship that is open for application all year round, but positions are limited. Junior Sales Partners for the company have in the past made “well over $2,000 in one week and have had Junior sales partners make up to $55,000 in a given year. On a weekly basis, a productive Junior Sales Partner can expect to make $600-$1,800.” The company declares that it is searching for “the type of person that cannot stand the thought of sitting behind a computer in a cubicle from 9-5 for the next 10 years.” The company specializes in selling options for windows to homeowners.

http://www.internships.com/sales/junior-sales-partner

For people who want to stray away from more typical office-type internships and want an opportunity to stretch their creative muscles as well as tune their technology skills, there are plenty of opportunities in that realm as well.

Emporia Entertainment is offering a WordPress internship for “a talented website developer to help rebuild [their] websites with WordPress.” The applicant can be monolingual, but English/Spanish proficient is prefered. Here is the perfect opportunity to let creativity, computer savvy, and foreign language skills combine in a real-life setting.

http://www.internships.com/design/wordpress-internship-i6590247

DQ Couture is offering a Wardrobe Stylist/Personal Assistant/Social Media Rep position that would be perfect for anyone looking into the art and fashion or communication field. DQ Couture specifies that applicants need to “be active on Facebook and Instagram, with a strong following.” There are three slots open for “personable, confident, and outgoing” up-and-comers who would be getting the opportunity to “network with some of the top professionals in Charlotte.”

Hannah Magraw, a Providence senior, has been interning at Eastway Middle School since the third week of school. Magraw intends to teach after graduating from college and has been “tutoring one-on-one, working with small groups of students and circulating through one of the English as a Second Language history classrooms.” She says that she is “learning how to interact and encourage kids across the spectrum to care about school and value education a little more.” She is learning a lot from this experience, and this internship is a perfect stepping stone for any hopeful teacher. Magraw went another route for finding her internship. She wrote emails to three different middle schools offering her help, and when all three responded positively, she visited each and chose her favorite.

Just like Magraw, who found an internship that fits perfectly with her schedule and career plan, anyone can find a position that is a great learning experience for their intended path. Finding an internship that is the right fit for you might seem daunting, but it’s important to remember how many opportunities there are out there for students just like you. If you still have worries, you can always talk to your counselor to help find a great internship that is sure to help move you into your hopeful field.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Best internships in Charlotte”

1. Elle Robinson on May 4th, 2017 11:10 am

This is so helpful!

[Reply]

2. Meghann Villarroel on May 10th, 2017 8:22 am

This IS really helpful Anya! Thanks!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

How to make it through this politically intense time

• Editorials

Many Miles Before We Sleep

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Women in the draft

• Editorials

“Rocky Horror” falls flat but has a lasting impact of the LGBTQ community

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Let us be our brother’s keeper

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Kaepernick has the right to exercise his freedom of speech

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Teachers must assign less homework for their students’ sake

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

NC’s voter ID law is disenfranchising voters

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Is the Brighten app a platform for bullying?

• Best internships in Charlotte

Editorials

Providence describes 2016 presidential election in one word

Best internships in Charlotte