The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

Give to charity without spending a penny

Floriana Boardman, Online Editor

Donating to charity is as simple as can be! Through the right online extensions and apps, donations can be made to charity without spending any money whatsoever. 

Tab for a Cause is one of the easiest ways to raise money for charity. After setting up Tab for a Cause, every time you open up a new tab, the non-profit’s sponsors make a small donation to charity.

Through the extension which is added on Chrome and Firefox, each blank tab is replaced with another link that displays a donation tracker, news about different causes, ads and customizable widgets. Through Tab for a Cause, every tab opened donates to a choice of seven charities, including Human Rights Watch, Save the Children, Educate, water.org, Action Against Hunger, Room to Read and Conservation International. Tab for a Cause has raised over $305,000 for charity. Getting started with Tab for a Cause is simple. Just click to install. There’s nothing to sign up for, so start tabbing away.

Use the Charity Miles app to donate to charity as well. Through Charity Miles, each mile that you walk, run or bike correlates with money raised for your choice of over 30 non-profit organizations, including Habitat for Humanity and Autism Speaks. After downloading the app, sponsors donate a dime for each mile that’s biked and a quarter for each mile traveled by foot.

Another way to walk for charity is through using the smart pedometer StriivWith the help of sponsors, every time you reach 18,000 steps, you earn enough to donate clean water to a child in South America, polio vaccinations for a child in India or conserve area of rainforest in Tanzania. 

The mobile payments app LevelUp also has a charitable side. The app has a loyalty rewards program with participating merchants. Instead of pocketing savings, you can donate a fraction or all of that to one of 25 charities, including the National Wildlife Federation, Jumpstart and Whole Planet Foundation. 

There is a charitable shopping app that is particularly helpful. Shopkick lets you earn points, or kicks, each time you walk into stores like Target, Macy’s and Best Buy without any purchases necessary. Through linking your Visa or MasterCard to the Shopkicks app, you can earn additional kicks for your shopping trips. When redeeming these rewards, you can choose to get gift cards for various retailers. However, there is also an option to donate your kicks to causes, such as clean water for people in developing countries, meals to the hungry, books for children and more.

Donate money through simply sharing your photos. Simply share any photo you like on the Donate a Photo app, and you will be rewarded with a $1 donation to the charity you select. Featured charitable projects include community development, humanitarian efforts and children empowerment causes.

The world around us is full of people in need, so give back. It is easy and does not cost a tiny penny.

1 Comment

One Response to “Give to charity without spending a penny”

1. Maria Panagiotopoulos on May 4th, 2017 11:12 am

Nice Flo! love your story.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Give to charity without spending a penny

Features

Behind the grace, flashing costumes and freezing cold

Features

U.S. lifestyle compared to foreign countries

Features

Model UN

Features

Four of the best fast-food Mexican chains in Charlotte

Features

“Father of the Bride” Dazzles

Features

Dr. Harrill is awarded Southern Learning Principal of the Year

Features

Father of the Bride photographs

Features

Providence faculty talk about college

Features

10 things you MUST DIY this fall

Features

What can Providence students do outside of school?