The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

What can Providence students do outside of school?

Photo taken at Amelie's Bakery

Photo taken at Amelie's Bakery

Floriana Boardman, Online Editor

“What is there to do in Charlotte?” seems to be a recurring question amongst Providence students, but a city with over 800,000 people has to provide some entertainment. Here are 10 of the most exciting things to use as a weekend adventure.

1. The pressure is on- your 2 to 10 person group must exit the room before the 60 minute time limit is up. This heart-racing, problem-solving, team building activity, is perfect for a group of friends. Exit Strategy is ideal for adding a little bit more mystery over the weekend.
  2. Splish splash on Lake Wylie. Ebenexer Park of Rock Hill has picnic areas, fishing areas, a boat ramp, and swimming access. Just can’t wait to jump in the water? A day pass is only $5 per car.
  3. Victory Lane Indoor Karting is the perfect way to race with friends. The  indoor go-kart facility, conference center, and entertainment venue has one of the fastest tracks in the nation. The ⅓ mile road course allows a maximum speed of 45 mph.
  4. The U.S National Whitewater Center has 1100 acres of thrill and adventure. Go whitewater rafting, kayaking, zip lining, paddle boarding, bike, run or hike on the natural trails.
  5. Shopping, shopping and more shopping! The Charlotte Premium Outlets has great deals and a wide variety all with an outdoor venue. Savings range from 25% to 65% off of the over 100 brands offered. Featured stores include Adidas, Coach Outlet, Cole Haan Outlet, J.Crew Factory, Kate Spade New York, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, and Luck Brand.
  6. At the Carolina Raptor Center just north of Charlotte, say hello to bald eagles, hawks, vultures and falcons. This nonprofit is dedicated to education and holds camps and other events throughout the year. Visits are welcome during any of the hours of operation which are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. everyday.
  7. Walking around Charlotte can seem boring. Although, have you tried taking a Segway? What can beat pretending to be “Paul Blart Mall Cop” on the Charlotte streets. Through Charlotte NC Tours, Segway Tours are available 7 days a week.
  8. The Big Head. That’s what you can see in Plaza Midwood. Bizarre is taken to a whole new level with this statue. A 22-foot-tall structure with horizontally-moving stainless-steel plates that form, and re-form, into a giant metal head.
  9. Wonderful pastries, delicious macaroons, scrumptious drinks, and a giant lady hanging from the ceiling. Eight feet long and only one of the interesting things to look at at the delicious bakery Amelies on S. Tryon Street.
  10. Spectrum Center, is an entertainment and sports arena located in center city Charlotte, North Carolina. It is owned by the city of Charlotte and operated by the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets.

Whether seeing a big head or adventuring at an amusement park, there is something to do in the Queen City. Hopefully your weekend adventures in Charlotte can be filled with art, music, dining, shopping, or nature.