The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

Students raise awareness, funds for South Sudan

Alex Berenfeld, Managing Editor

The 3rd annual Walk for Wisdom, an event set up by Providence’s UNICEF and Interact Clubs, took place Friday, May 19 on the track after school. The event featured lively music, thirst-quenching popsicles, beach balls and raffles.

The Walk for Wisdom is a global education and service initiative for elementary, middle and high schools that supports education and literacy in South Sudan. The project was created by students at Myers Park High School in Charlotte and has since grown into a nation-wide project. The Walk has become an important program managed by Mothering Across Continents, a non-profit organization founded in Charlotte in 2009 that advocates education for at-risk children around the world. In 2013, Mothering Across Continents successfully constructed the first permanent primary school in the village of Nyarweng, Ruweng State, South Sudan.

Students from all grade levels came out to show their support. Senior Mikaela Anderson helped set up and run the event by holding signs marking the number of laps that had been walked and keeping the participants hydrated. “It was really exciting to see everyone come out and support South Sudan,” Anderson said.

Juniors Maddie Ellis and Daisy Lane also helped with the event. “It’s really a great thing that so many kids were willing to miss their classes in order to support such a great cause,” Lane said. Ellis explained how her favorite part of the walk were the popsicles.

Throughout the event, announcers cheered people on while sharing facts about the current conditions of living in South Sudan. After four hot laps, Isabelle Chow, a senior and member of UNICEF, announced, “Congratulations! We’ve just walked a mile. That is one-third the distance South Sudanese women have to walk on average just to access clean drinking water.” The walk incorporated interesting information to ensure that bits of “wisdom” would be shared throughout the school community.

Sophomore Alison-Leigh Rosenfeld was a raffle winner who received a Chick-fil-A gift card. “The event was a lot of fun,” Rosenfeld said. “My favorite part was knowing that we were helping out and raising money for South Sudan.”

By the end of the event, the participants had walked nine laps around the track, raising more than $2,000 through student registrations and corporate donations.