The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

PJCC offers outlet for Jewish education

Providence Jewish Cultural Club

Providence Jewish Cultural Club

Providence Jewish Cultural Club

Alex Berenfeld, Managing Editor

The sweet aroma of fresh baked challah overwhelms you. You hear distant singing… something about a dreidel… made out of clay? You can only trace these things back to one thing: Providence Jewish Culture Club.

Providence Jewish Culture Club, or PJCC, is a new club geared towards any student interested in learning about Jewish culture. “Providence has a very strong Jewish presence, and we want to celebrate it and educate others about what it is that we stand for,” says senior Karinne Bernanke, the club’s vice president. “We love our culture and want to share it with our community because we sensed that hunger for information.”

President Elliot Adler is responsible for the idea and creation of the club. Adler, a senior, expressed his motivation for organizing PJCC. “This would provide a great learning experience for those who aren’t entirely familiar with the Jewish culture,” he said, “as well as giving those who have Jewish roots another opportunity to express those roots in places outside of Temple or youth group.”

From freshly baked challah to golden brown latkes, PJCC will introduce the Providence community to a range of traditional Jewish foods. Member Ian Bodenheimer explains his favorite thing the club has to offer. “The Jewish culture has a big emphasis on food, and PJCC not only explains the reasoning behind which foods are important, but it also gives its members a first-hand taste test,” he said. “The club does a great job at making sure everyone is enjoying themselves, while still keeping an academic, professional atmosphere.”

What cultural historian Jordan Schuler is most excited for is the upcoming “Chrismukkah” party that will be organized after school with the help of YCI. It is undecided where the Chrismukkah party will be held. Chrismukkah is a popular term referring to the merging of Christmas and Hanukkah, both of which fall on the same day this year. Students attending the Chrismukkah party can expect to hear a diverse range of festive music and taste a varied mix of traditional foods.

Schuler’s role as cultural historian is to make sure that the educational aspect of Judaism is accurately addressed each meeting or social. Schuler plans to do this by telling ancient Jewish stories and explaining the religious significance of each holiday. Senior Samantha Levinson, treasurer of PJCC, is equally excited about celebrating the approaching holidays.

Levinson’s job as treasurer is to plan fundraisers for the club. She is enthusiastic about the upcoming year and believes that PJCC is a necessary club to have at Providence. “All cultures and religions should be included at the school,” she said, “and PJCC will hopefully educate non-Jews and give those who are Jewish, a safe place at school.”

Adler strongly believes in the significance of PJCC and expects a larger membership in years to come. “I hope to establish a good starting image for the club in the Providence community and to show how unique Jewish culture is,” he said. “Anyone and everyone is welcome!”