The student news site of Providence High School

The Prowl

Is a college education necessary for success?

Mia Thillet, Staff Reporter

Although there are several cases where people have achieved tremendous success without a college degree, such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerburg, the average person needs to earn a college degree in order to find jobs and gain prosperity. A college education typically is recommended for career and financial success.

According to a 2011 article by Pew Research Center, college-educated adults “are more likely to be employed full time than their less-educated counterparts (89% vs. 82%) and significantly less likely to be unemployed (3.8% vs. 12.2%).” Along with helping set your resume apart, a college degree will help you to be more prepared for a job by giving you the necessary tools to thrive. Nowadays, resumes and job applications are becoming more competitive, so a higher education leads to a better chance at getting the job.

The quest to get into college begins in high school. Although many people argue that such an important decision should not be left up to 18 year olds, currently, there is a plethora of information available to anyone online. An E-Expectations report on the impact on mobile browsing states, “At the time of the survey, 65 percent of senior respondents said they visited a college website within the past week.” College web sites serve as a guidance tool for students looking to take their education to the next level.

Even though college is expensive, the economic opportunities which come from a masters and even bachelors degree are astronomical. The Pew Research Center article says, “As college costs have increased in recent decades, so, too have many of the economic rewards for getting a four-year degree as well as the penalties for not doing so.”

At Providence, students pride themselves on being a top school in CMS, so there is pressure to represent Providence in an honorable way. Maddie Ellis, a sophomore, believes that “college is the ultimate goal” and that “parents and teachers pressure you to go so that you can be successful.”

College is also a way for students to discover who they want to become and gather the necessary criteria to follow a certain career path. “I want to go to college so that I can have a good job and career and eventually be able to settle down comfortably,” Ellis says, “making something out of myself is the main motivation for doing well in my classes.” College is the last bridge that stands between adolescence and adulthood.

Without this last connection, many important moments of your life will be missing. “Despite being an educational experience, you also meet people and friends and gain other experiences that will take you through the rest of your life,” says Ellis with a smile. “So I think it is definitely a good experience to have regardless.”